March 22, 2020 UPDATE FROM USA SOFTBALL OF NEW YORK"
1. As of today, March 22, 2020, USA Softball of NY has suspended all USA Softball activities (tournaments, play days, scrimmages, games, etc.) for all of New York State until May 1, 2020. Our next update for our plan of action for New York State moving forward will be on or about April 15, 2020.
2. We strongly suggest that all leagues and travel organizations adhere to the Federal, State, and Local Government Agencies or Health Department for their guidance and direction.
3. Groups that had events that were taking place during the month of April may request a refund or request a new date. The refund or new date request needs to be completed by March 31, 2020.
4. USA Softball of NY Umpires will not umpiring any games during the month of April. As I am sure you are aware, there is no insurance that we have that will cover this virus in regards to lost wages. Umpires, this is a great time to make sure you are registered with Kathy, done your background clearance through Register USA, and have completed the appropriate Safe Sport, which must be done within 365 days from your last certificate. Completing all requirements now will assure that umpires will hit the ground at full speed when we begin the season.
5. Leagues and teams need to finish with all their registrations, which I am hoping are done on-line. Once this is done you need to adjust your insurance, and to register all your teams with USA Softball of NY. Teams and leagues that would like to get rule book and score books after registration need to contact their local commissioner. We will make sure that you have your information as needed.
6. Be aware that for all tournaments, league play, scrimmages, and play dates scheduled in early May could be in jeopardy of cancellation. If you didn’t communicate your refund policy clearly prior to registration of any game or tournament in case of cancellation, you are expected to provide a full refund. Please remember that many teams could be traveling from out of town that have hotel reservations, therefore cancellations should be done as soon as possible.
We all are in the same situation and we all need to work through it together. I understand that we all want to be out playing, but we cannot. You need to keep in mind the player next to you, the parent or family member that we could put at risk by not taking this seriously. If we caused the spread of this virus, HOW WOULD WE FEEL. I am hoping that we can begin play by the current May 1st deadline, however we will keep you updated if anything changes. I do wish that we had better news for you, but we do not and I hope in the near future that I do
USA SOFTBALL OF NEW YORK
414 BRUNSWICK DRIVE
TROY, NY 12180
Home Phone: 518-953-0077
Cell Phone: 518-878-4821
Play #USASoftball, where Olympic journey’s begin!
As we kick off or 2020 season, we would like to introduce you to some of your key CHANGES & PLAYERS:
ANY ADULT (18 OR OVER) ON THE FIELD OR IN THE DUGOUT MUST HAVE A USA SOFTBALL BACKGROUND CHECK AND HAS COMPLEATED THE SAFESPORT PROGRAM TO BE INVOLVED IN YOUTH PLAYNew York State Commissioner: David Copeland 414 BRUNSWICK DR. APT 8 TROY, NY 12180 (518) 878-4821 Email: Dave_Copeland@usasoftballofny.com
New York State Youth (JO) Commissioner: Nathan Nagle 1879 Spencer Hill Road Corning, NY14830 (607) 483-0296 Email: email@example.com
New York State Slow Pitch State Commissioner: Harry Dorsagno
Or staff is here to support you with your needs, in registration, insurance and tournaments. For Adult registrations, USA Softball will give you a $2,000,000.00 liability insurance policy with each team registration. You can also get as many additional insured as needed for any park required.
Any youth team that would like to advance please contact the JO Commissioner for your guidance.
If you are looking to become a umpire please contact of UIC for guidance.
We are always looking for individuals to assist through out the State. We currently have a number of districts that we need Adult commissioners in and assistant youth commissioners. If interested please contact the State Commissioner.